Monday, September 22, 2008

Getting in touch with my user group

I have been trying to get in touch with SAYA: The South Asian Youth Association in NY, a nonprofit organization that deals with issues on education, social pressures, pressure of parents etc.. on indian children in NY. I have approached this group because I feel that they would serve as the group that my thesis would matter to. An organization that could put my thesis to use in their programs for children's educational counseling. So far, I have been able to get the attention of the program director Wida Amir who has expressed interest in my project. However it has been busy at SAYA and therefore has been hard setting up an appointment with her. I will keep trying to reach out to her.

My user testing thus far has been on children I know, however they are only six of them in total and that is not a big enough number to test on. So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I got in touch with HINDI USA. They are a company that teaches hindi as a second/ third language to children in schools around NY. Their smallest classes range from 15-20 students and are as big as 200 students per class. I have spoken to the person in charge and he has granted me access to the classes. He will be getting back to me about what day and time my age group meets (8-12 year olds) so that I can sit in the classes and test with them at the end of each class or as often as needed.

No comments: